UTM Tracking allows you to measure the performance of your campaigns on your analytics platform, such as Google Analytics.
UTM stands for “Urchin Traffic Monitor“, a name derived from Urchin Tracker, a web analytics software integrated in the Google Analytic code base.
UTM tracking relies on five variables that can be appended to your links:
- UTM Medium: The medium used for tracking, example: SMS, Landing Page…
- UTM Campaign: The campaign used for tracking, example: ad
- UTM Content: The content used for tracking, example: shirts
- UTM Source: The source could be a social channel like Facebook, a website, example: mydomain.com
- UTM Term: A specific term used for tracking, example: Lipstick
Here is one example: https://www.example.com/page?utm_content=vbout-drip-holiday&utm_medium=automation&utm_source=email&utm_campaign=vbout
UTM can be activated in 4 different places in VBOUT: